.

.

Blending New and Old in Friendship and Memory Seed Bead and Charms Bracelet



It's snowing here today, the first of the season. I'd been expecting it, and sure enough, this morning it was all over the trees and the ground. The snow is piled on top of the fence line and the big trash can at the end of the driveway has an inch or more on top of the lid.


A few birds are looking for their early morning feed amongst the unraked leaves in the snow. Squirrels are still laughable as they shake their tails and run in circles up and down the big tree trunk. I have to hold on to these images, for soon these little peeks into the natural world will disappear until Spring.



In a little while I'm going to paint my parlor or living room as it's also known, sorry I have always called it a parlor. I hope this is no more than a three day job, for I am slowwww and meticulous. I still carry the damp rag, to wipe up my accidents. I might be meticulous, but there's still some clumsy in my movements. I'll probably never grow out of clumsy, and not for lack of trying. Just put the table over that spot.

The snow is steady and heavy at the moment, so I am going to distract myself from the white onslaught by sharing this bracelet with you and then start moving the furniture and getting on with the paint job.

When I moved into the house, the parlor had a mucus-like green swirly stripy look and it made me nauseous just to be in or walking through the room. The front door was the same snot-like color. Sorry, I wanted you to know how much the green was a poor choice. Weird, ugly, just repulsive.

I painted the parlor a beigey/tannish color and one wall was a very light yellow- all because I ran out of paint and energy. I wasn't happy with the end result, but had to let it stay those colors for a while.

For a few years I fought the urge to paint it white, but no longer. I have given in and bought a primer and paint-in-one in something called, "Swan White." It should be white enough, not gray and not too glaring.  I hope it's worth the extra money for a primer and paint in one.

I thought this striped design might poke through, even with a primer, so I used some light colored paint leftover from another room to paint over the stripes.  

Some of my furniture has white in it and I bought a small coat rack with iron hooks to put on the wall after I clean and paint it in a white color, too.  More ornamental, but still useful. (Finally, a thrift store score.)


It's been three months since Lucy died, and yesterday was the anniversary of my Mom's passing. It's taking everything I can to muster the energy and do the work in myself to move forward. Setbacks not excluded.


The snow is not helping, but I can't control the weather. That cold blanket of white, just confirms the finality of things. It's going to be a long time before there is life again. No green poking through, the birds, squirrels, and rabbits take themselves to another place.

I don't want any big changes right now. For me, painting is an exercise and a comment that no matter what happens, life doesn't ever stay the same. Even though I'd give anything to have them back with me.

I wanted to show you this bracelet, it went to a friend. It was a labor of love and helped me to make a little inch-hold in moving on. Not quite a foothold, in due time, though.

The glass seed beads are antique, some of the other beads are upcycled, and other charms are new. The bracelet was made with the wearer in mind.


I found the burlap bags in a craft store. I sewed on the flower and button felt. The reverse side has a white heart (to which I added her initial.)

Whatever you're doing this week, be safe, have fun and keep your chins up.

All the best,
Gloria

4 comments :

Robin said...

Hi Gloria! I am so sorry for your losses and both hitting you at the same time. I know how the pain can be crippling. It's great to see that you made this beautiful bracelet for your friend. Remembering the friendships and love you still have in your life is wonderful, as sometimes it is so easy to feel all alone. Sending you love and hugs! Please keep in touch Gloria, you are not alone and have lots of bloggers out here that care. My email is out on my blog. More soft hugs, Rasz

Craftymoose Crafts said...

I heard about the snow in your state & wondered if you were in its path. Sigh. It is a great time to do an inside project--no matter how long it takes. All life is not gone--look up in the sky; the birds are always flying around & there will always be footprints in the snow.

Hugs!

Magic Love Crow said...

Gloria, I know you are going through so much, but make sure you breathe, try to smile and have fun painting ;o) The snow is here, but there is still life ;o) I love the winter ;o) The bracelet is so special you made! I wear mine all the time! Big Hugs ;o)

Gloria said...

Thanks ladies!

It's good to take things one day at a time. This week things just piled up, but I am okay.

The room is painted and will be brighter, so I think that will help.

We all have these rows to hoe and troubles;we may feel alone, but we're not.

Thanks for your words which feel like a hug. I appreciate each one of you!